The Population and Housing Census is one of the most important statistical surveys not only in our country, but also in the world. The census is the most extensive statistical survey with the longest history, which is regulated by a special law in the Slovak Republic. With its preparation and implementation, it is one of the most demanding statistical surveys.
- The 2021 Population and Housing Census is an integrated and fully electronic census.
- In Slovakia, the scope and the method of census-taking is determined by the Act No. 223/2019 Coll. on the 2021 Population and Housing Census.
- The census collects data on the inhabitants of the Slovak Republic and houses and dwellings in the territory of the Slovak Republic.
- The decisive moment of the Census is midnight from 31 December 2020 to Friday 1 January 2021. The data collected during the census of inhabitants, houses and dwellings, i.e. the data provided by the municipality or inhabitant in the census form, must relate to this moment.
- The Population and Housing Census is carried out in two stages, the Housing Census and the Population Census.
- The Housing Census will take place from 1 June 2020 to 12 February 2021. The Housing Census covers all houses and apartment buildings, regardless of whether they are inhabited or not and other dwellings inhabited at the decisive moment of the Census, situated at the territory of the Slovak Republic. The Housing Census is entrusted to the municipalities of the SR.
- The Population Census will take place in the period from 15 February 2021 to 31 March 2021. All residents of the Slovak Republic are obliged to enumerate themselves by filling in the census form. For the census purposes, a resident refers to anyone who has a permanent, temporary or tolerated residence in the Slovak Republic. A resident also means a citizen of the European Union whose usual residence is in the Slovak Republic. For minor children and legally incapable residents, the census forms shall be filled in by their legal representatives.The resident is given the opportunity of self-enumeration or assisted enumeration.
Did you know that...
- Census is the largest and most demanding statistical survey in Slovakia with more than 100 years of tradition. It is held every 10 years.
- The Statistical Office of the SR started the conceptual preparation of 2021 Census in December 2014 by establishing a Working Group for the preparation of 2021 Census.
- In the period from June to August 2019; 75 proposals took part in the public competition as regards the creation of the 2021 Census logo in total, and 63 proposals met the conditions of the competition.
- Act No 223/2019 on the Population and Housing Census in 2021 was approved by the National Council of the Slovak Republic on 18 June 2019.
- 2021 Census uses data from 10 existing administrative data sources and registers.
- 2021 Census is the first integrated census and the first fully electronic census in the SR.
- The census form for the Housing Census contains 18 questions.